FDA details mess in Texas plant tied to Salmonella cases

first_img The problems in the Peanut Corp. of America’s (PCA’s) Plainview, Tex., plant are detailed in a seven-page inspection report posted online yesterday by the FDA. The Plainview plant was the second of two PCA facilities tied to the outbreak, which involves at least 677 illnesses in 45 states. The Plainview plant blanched, split, granulated, and roasted peanuts, according to the FDA. After the discovery of unsanitary conditions there, Texas officials on Feb 12 ordered PCA to shut the plan down and recall all products made there. PCA filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy on Feb 13 and a week later said the filing barred it from communicating with customers. As a result, the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) and the FDA are collaborating to handle the recall, according to Sebastian Cianci, an FDA spokesman. Cianci said all products made at the Plainview plant since Jan 1, 2007, are subject to a Class I recall, meaning consuming the products could lead to serious health problems. Products made at the plant before 2007 are subject only to a “market withdrawal,” a classification the agency uses when a product has a minor violation that would not trigger FDA legal action, he said. Six dead mice in a crawl space above the ceiling over the kitchen and blanching area of the plant The DSHS is notifying all the parties that received products from the Plainview plant since Jan 1, 2007, Cianci said. Once that task is done, the FDA will check how all of those businesses responded to the notices, he said. “From a regulatory standpoint we can’t reach the same conclusion [concerning Class I status] at this point regarding the product manufactured in this time frame, before 2007,” Cianci said. Several roof leaks that allowed rainwater to drip into peanut processing areas Buildups of “peanut fines, meal, chunks, or paste (some gooey other solidified)” on numerous pieces of processing equipment The inspectors also found various other problems: Mar 4, 2009 (CIDRAP News) – Inspectors at a Texas peanut processing plant tied to the current nationwide Salmonella outbreak found dead mice, mouse droppings, roof leaks, gooey buildups on equipment, and other sanitation problems, according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Storage of recalled peanut products from the Blakely plant among Plainview products awaiting shipment to customers, without separation and labeling to guard against inadvertent shipment of the recalled Blakely products Also, he noted that a private laboratory hired by PCA found Salmonella in peanut meal and granulated peanuts from the plant. He said the FDA was still working on determining the precise strain of Salmonella in those samples. Cases in the current outbreak were first linked to the Plainview plant in mid-February, when the outbreak strain was found in an opened jar of peanut butter from a case-patient in Colorado. The peanut butter had been made by Vitamin Cottage, a natural-foods retail chain, from peanuts that came from the Plainview facility. Later the strain was found in a jar of Vitamin Cottage peanut butter from another patient, Cianci said today.center_img Texas officials on Feb 12 reported finding dead rodents, rodent excrement, and feathers in a crawl space above a production area of the Plainview plant. The newly released FDA report offers more details. It says inspectors found abundant evidence of mice in processing areas of the plant, including: The outbreak, which publicly surfaced in early January, has been blamed mainly on PCA’s processing plant in Blakely, Ga. But in February, the outbreak strain of Salmonella Typhimurium was found in products from the Texas plant. However, “Whether it’s a market withdrawal or a recall, it still equates to a product coming off the shelf,” he added. The total number of products recalled because of the current outbreak stood at 3,076 today, according to the FDA. A failure to operate ventilation equipment in a way that minimized the risk of contamination of food and food-contact surfaces See also: A dead mouse stuck to a glue trap in a room off the kitchen FDA list of recalled productshttp://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/peanutbutterrecall/index.cfm Rodent pellets on a countertop, under a sink, and in cabinets in various rooms in the kitchen area The report did not describe the peanut products that had been shipped to Plainview from the Blakely plant. A PCA e-mail that surfaced during a Feb 11 congressional hearing on the outbreak indicated that tons of raw peanuts had been shipped from Blakely to Plainview but did not mention any processed products having been shipped there. FDA update on outbreak investigationhttp://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/MajorProductRecalls/Peanut/default.htm In addition, the FDA and the DSHS each tested samples of peanut meal from the Plainview plant during their investigation and found the outbreak strain, Cianci said.last_img read more

UFC Newark: Mickey Gall details having kidney failure before last fight and why he still chose to fight

first_imgOne of the goals Mickey Gall had when he got into the UFC was to fight Diego Sanchez. So, when Gall received the call that he would be taking on one of his heroes at March’s UFC 235, he couldn’t contain his excitement.”I couldn’t believe I was fighting Diego F’n Sanchez,” Gall proudly told Sporting News. But it almost didn’t come to be for Gall, who returns on Saturday to face Salim Touahri in the featured prelim at UFC Newark. Two weeks before the fight of his dreams, Gall’s body gave out on him.”I was sick,” Gall admitted. “I was aspirated which dehydrates you when you have to do the natural dehydration of making the weight. It was a little bit too much dehydration of my body. My kidneys shut down and I ended up suffering from kidney failure. I probably should have been laid up in a hospital bed that week. Instead, I went and marched into the arena and fought Diego Sanchez.”Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a yearGall stepped into the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas at less than his best. While cutting weight to make the 171-pound limit for non-title bouts at welterweight, Gall passed out. Somehow, though, Gall picked himself up and tipped the scales at 170.5. Knowing he wouldn’t be close to 100 percent, the man famously known for defeating CM Punk in the pro wrestler’s MMA debut knew he’d have to make quick work of the former “The Ultimate Fighter” winner. It wasn’t meant to be, though, as Sanchez won by second-round stoppage.”I was struggling for balance one minute into the fight,” Gall said. “I thought I needed to knock Sanchez out within the first minute. It was a little frustration mixed in with panic and confusion.”The result turned out to be the best thing for the 27-year-old, as he got sent to a local hospital and spent the next eight days in the facility because of kidney failure. Doctors told Gall that he only had 50 percent function of his kidneys and shouldn’t have taken the fight.The question on people’s minds after hearing that would be why risk your livelihood for a fight? “It never crossed my mind to quit,” Gall defiantly said. “Hindsight is always 20/20. When you’re a fighter, and you got that fighters heart like, you never give up. I have that mindset that I don’t look past my fight date. It’s like the end of the Mayan calendar to me. That’s everything. I’ve worked hard for everything I have. I’ve never thought about pulling out of a f—g Diego Sanchez fight. That was a dream come true.”I was going to show up there in whatever condition I was in. You have to be all about yourself for those 15 minutes when fight time comes. I signed the contract and I was going to show up. I was talking about it. I had people coming. I was going to go out there and perform. I absolutely thought until the very end that I was going to figure out a way to win.”After Gall was released from the hospital, it didn’t take long for him to start feeling like his old self. Gall went through the gauntlet in seeing a series of doctors to get a clean bill of health to ensure it wasn’t going to be a life-threatening issue. Thankfully, everything came out well for Gall and he got cleared to compete. Going through the traumatic experience made Gall wonder if he’d step inside the Octagon ever again and gave him a new outlook on things. “I was also a little worried because I wasn’t sure if this was an isolated incident or if I had actual kidney issues,” Gall said. “So I had to go and make the rounds with the doctors and was able to ease my mind and realize this was only an isolated incident. I just was crazy dehydrated and can go back to doing what I love. But at that moment in the hospital, I wasn’t too sure if I was going to be able to fight again. That’s given me a good perspective going forward.” With the bad luck behind him, Gall (5-2) can get back to what he does best. Gall returns to his roots, as the venue of Saturday’s event, the Prudential Center, is 36 minutes from his hometown of Green Brook, N.J.Considering what happened just a few months ago, Gall is thankful for the opportunity and looks forward to making the fans in his home state proud.”It’s an honor,” Gall said. “I feel blessed and I’m happy to be here. I’m really excited to fight at home. These are my people. New Jersey is my people. I’ve been all over the world, but there’s no place like Jersey.”last_img read more