Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion OK, so enough with exposes about the Weinsteins, the Frankens, the Lauers, the Keillors and the growing chorus of #MeToo’s. The “rest of the story” deserves ink, or at least a mention, before we punch our American culture’s socio-sexual reset button.Expose, please, the manipulation, deception and outright trickery of all the gold-diggers, the well-bedded Hollywood stars, the trophy-wives, the “Oops-I’m-pregnant” dates, and the faux divorce/alimony/child-support schemes that proliferate in the underbelly of American society. Anyone want to pick at that scab? It might tamp down the shrill voices of the Gloria Alreds, Megyn Kellys and Kirsten Gillibrands, whose righteous rants are revitalizing Puritanical standards that threaten to rekindle Shaker celibacy for all of us.And that could be the death knell for Victoria’s Secret apparel, Brazilian-cut swimsuits, breast implants, mini-skirts, tuxedos, red lace, slow dancin’, candle-light dining, romance novels, poetry, cocktail-parties, the point of fine wine, to say nothing of chocolate and many other artifacts of romance.Let’s hope not.Living in an exceptional society deserves a fair amount of wiggle room, if you get my drift.Jim SchaeferRotterdamMore from The Daily Gazette:Rotterdam convenience store operator feels results of having Stewart’s as new neighborCar hits garage in Rotterdam Sunday morning; Garage, car burnFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the census
India will reopen gyms and end a nighttime curfew from August, but cinemas, bars and schools will remain closed in the vast South Asian nation as the number of coronavirus cases passed 1.5 million and deaths neared 35,000 on Wednesday.The country of 1.3 billion people — the world’s third-most infected nation — has gradually eased its virus restrictions imposed since late March to boost the flagging economy.But the latest reopenings from August 5 are limited to gyms and yoga teaching facilities, as well as an end to the curfew, currently from 10 pm to 5 am. Topics : Prime Minister Narendra Modi said this week that India was in a “better position that other countries”, and winning international praise.The health ministry website — which no longer includes total infections as the government puts more emphasis on recoveries — on Wednesday reported almost 50,000 new infections and 768 more deaths.India, home to some of the world’s most crowded cities and where health-care spending per capita is among the world’s lowest, passed one million cases only 12 days ago.But many experts have said the country is not testing enough people, and that many coronavirus-linked deaths are not being recorded as such.A study released Tuesday that tested for coronavirus antibodies reported some 57 percent of people in Mumbai’s teeming slums have had the infection — far more than official figures suggest.The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research’s Ullas S. Kolthur, who was involved in carrying out the survey, said he was surprised by the results.”At least in the slums, we think it is largely because social distancing wouldn’t work simply because of the population density,” Kolthur told AFP.Last week, a similar study indicated that almost a quarter of people in the capital New Delhi have contracted the virus — almost 40 times the official total.There are, however, doubts about the accuracy of such tests, since other coronaviruses — not just this one — may also produce antibodies that could give a false positive result. The Mumbai survey also covered a relatively small sample of around 7,000 people.India now has the third-highest number of cases in the world behind the United States and Brazil, although the official number of deaths in the South Asian nation is far lower.As a proportion of its population, India also lags behind, with only 1,110 cases per million people, compared to 13,148 for the United States, according to an AFP tally. Case numbers in India are soaring and more states are reimposing shutdowns to stem the spread of the virus.Independence Day celebrations on August 15 will go ahead, but with “social distancing and by following other health protocols” such as mask-wearing, the home affairs ministry said.Metro train services, cinemas, swimming pools, entertainment parks, theatres, bars, auditoriums and assembly halls will remain closed for now, it added.Schools and other educational institutions will also remain shut through the end of August, at least.
Roy Keane names three Arsenal players that are a ‘big problem’ for Mikel Arteta Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterMonday 28 Sep 2020 11:40 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link3.4kShares View 5 comments Keane was unimpressed by Arsenal’s back three (Picture: SKY)‘There’s no getting away from that but he will still want some improvement,’ Keane told Sky Sports.‘His hands are tied which is a big problem because he still needs a couple more players in. ‘We saw again tonight that defeneivsly – I still think David Luiz, Kieran Tierney and Rob Holding, there’s big question marks over them. Luiz still has that mistake in him’.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalArteta hopes to add to his squad before the transfer window closes next Monday.Arsenal have submitted two bids for Lyon playmaker Houssem Aouar but neither offer came close to the Ligue 1 club’s valuation of the midfielder.Atletico Madrid ace Thomas Partey remains a priority but the likes of Matteo Guendouzi and Lucas Torreira may have to make way before activating a £45m release clause in the Ghanaian’s contract.MORE: Jurgen Klopp argues with Manchester United legend Roy Keane after Liverpool’s victory over Arsenal Advertisement Mikel Arteta’s side were well beaten by Liverpool (Picture: Getty)Manchester United legend Roy Keane believes Mikel Arteta has a ‘big problem’ on his hands because Kieran Tierney, David Luiz and Rob Holding are not good enough for the Gunners.The Spaniard’s side were beaten 3-1 by Liverpool at Anfield, despite taking the lead in the first half through Alexandre Lacazette.The Frenchman’s strike gave Arsenal something to hold onto but their lead lasted just two minutes as Sadio Mane equalised before Andrew Robertson put the Reds ahead going into the half-time break.Arsenal stayed in the game but as they pushed forward for an equaliser, Diogo Jota capitalised on the extra space by wrapping up the victory.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTThe Gunners have made improvements under Arteta but Keane believes that the defensive trio that started in a back three at Anfield underline how far the club have to go.
1 Newcastle boss John Carver Newcastle boss John Carver was left to reflect on the ‘toughest week of [his] life’ but was ultimately pleased after his side halted a run of eight straight defeats to boost their Premier League survival chances.The Magpies finally mustered some fighting spirit as they came from behind against West Brom to seal a 1-1 draw at St James’ Park; Ayoze Perez netting his seventh goal of the season to cancel out Victor Anichebe’s 32nd-minute opener.It was a result which leaves the Toon in 17th place on 36 points, two clear of the drop zone with two games remaining, with a trip to relegation rivals Queens Park Rangers next on the agenda.It came as a relief to Carver, whose claim earlier in the week that he was the ‘best coach in the Premier League’ had invited ridicule, although he insisted after the game that his ‘tongue in cheek’ comments had been misinterpreted.He said: “It’s just like another week in my world, isn’t it? It’s been a tough week, the toughest week of my life, and there’s been an awful lot said.“Some of the things I have said were maybe taken in the wrong context, and I would like to just say, every time I go and play golf and I’m on the first tee, I think I’m the best golfer in the world; when I played cricket as a youngster, I thought I was the best all-round cricketer in the world, so read into that whatever you want.“That’s just how I am. The comments I made earlier in the week were all tongue in cheek, I’ve got to say something positive to keep everybody going.“A point might be huge, but the more important thing for me is the performance. The performance today showed me, showed everyone, that they do care and they do want this club to stay in the Premier League and they’re ready for a fight.“I didn’t see that last week and I was worried. Sometimes you have to say things and do things to stir the hornets’ nest, and from what I’ve seen today, that’s just what has happened.“I’m not getting carried away with it, there’s still have a huge job to do and it’s important we get across the line.“It’s still in our hands, and hopefully it’s not too late.”
Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January Liverpool have agreed an undisclosed fee with Chelsea for the transfer of Dominic Solanke a year after he swapped Stamford Bridge for Anfield.Solanke, 20, joined Jurgen Klopp’s side last summer after seeing out the remainder of his contract with Chelsea. Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father However, as the striker is under the age of 24, the Blues were due compensation.The two clubs engaged in lengthy talks throughout the 2017/18 season but they seemingly could not reach an agreement.And just when it looked like the appropriate fee was being decided by the Professional Football Compensation Committee, the issue got resolved directly between Liverpool and Chelsea.It’s not clear what price Liverpool will pay for Solanke, however. 2 RANKED Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti LATEST 2 targets targets Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star IN DEMAND Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade REVEALED Latest transfer news on talkSPORT.com According to the Liverpool ECHO, the Reds had initially valued Solanke at around £3million with Chelsea demanding closer to £10million. Now a compromise has been achieved so there is no need for a tribunal.A spokesman for Liverpool FC said: “The issue has been resolved between the clubs. We will have no further comment on the matter.”Solanke won the Under-20 World Cup with England in June 2017 and had been in the youth ranks at Chelsea since 2004 but he only made one first-team appearance for the club.He moved to Merseyside in pursuit of more first-team football and made six starts and a further 21 substitute appearances for the Reds last season. LIVING THE DREAM Solanke in action during Liverpool’s pre-season tour of Asia last summer Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ moving on Solanke celebrates his first competitive goal for Liverpool on the final game of the 2017/18 Premier League season Solanke received a call-up for the England senior squad in November 2017 – making his full debut in a friendly against Brazil.He has scored one goal for Liverpool which came on the final day of 2017/18 Premier League season – a powerful finish during the Reds’s 4-0 victory over Brighton.