Lamar Odom opens up about drug-fueled brush with death

first_imgLamar Odom. AFP/GETTY IMAGES FILE PHOTOLOS ANGELES—Former NBA star Lamar Odom opened up on the Players’ Tribune on Thursday about the roller-coaster of cocaine addiction that left him comatose and close to death after a Nevada brothel binge in 2015.Although he’s sober now, Odom writes on the website that it’s “an every day struggle”.ADVERTISEMENT LeBron James scores 31 points, Lakers beat Rockets 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano MOST READ Hotshots get young import He recalled his shock upon waking in the hospital, having collapsed at the Love Ranch brothel outside Las Vegas.“At some point, the main doctor came in and told me what had happened,” Odom wrote. “He said, ‘Mr. Odom, you’ve been in a coma for the last four days. Do you understand?’ I couldn’t talk. So I just nodded. He said, ‘It’s a miracle that you’re here. We didn’t think you were going to make it.’”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’BACKSTORY: Lamar Odom’s spiral leaves ex-NBA star fighting for his lifeOdom, a two-time NBA champion who gained wider fame as the star of a reality television series with wife Khloe Kardashian, said that at the time he was “doing coke every day … I couldn’t control it.” Odom and Kardashian were separated at the time of his overdose. They reunited after the incident, but split again last year.Odom said he didn’t touch cocaine until he was 24 years old, when he was on vacation in Miami.“If I knew that it was going to affect my life the way it did,” he wrote, “I would’ve never even thought about it.”But the drug became an escape from the feelings of loss he felt after the death of his mother from cancer, the death of his beloved grandmother and the death of his six-month-old son, Jayden, to sudden infant death syndrome.He said he knew his increasingly reckless behavior was destroying both his personal and professional life.ADVERTISEMENT Kawhi Leonard, Clippers rally to beat Pelicans McGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC return Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES Now he credits rehab and the support of his family with keeping him going.“Even though my funeral would probably be a good funeral, and there’d probably be a lot of people who hadn’t seen each other in a long time. But it ain’t time for that yet. … I still got my kids. I’m still here. And damn, I’m still pretty handsome.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Indian national gunned down in Camarines Sur OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson ‘I’m out!’: PewDiePie releases last video before taking break from YouTube View commentslast_img read more

Rekindling civic pride with a parade

first_img For this generation, Martinez wanted to ensure that all families – regardless of their income – felt welcome. He and a small army of volunteers helped raise $70,000 for a parade with nearly 100 entries, added a literacy project, nixed the mantilla dinner and put together a Santa’s Village with free pictures for families. “There was a void for a long time,” said Jose Pulido, the city’s administrator. “It’s phenomenal what the (Martinez family) has done for this city, restoring the faith in the community that we deserve something of this quality.” Martinez spends five hours a day for six months pulling together the parade. He said he does it because he remembers marching in the parade with his mother, a Mexican immigrant who had made a life in San Fernando, gaining an education to become a Head Start teacher during the 1970s. He does it so kids like him can have memories with their families. “All of us need a sense of belonging.” — Rachel Uranga, (818) 713-3741 rachel.uranga@dailynews.com160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORERose Parade grand marshal Rita Moreno talks New Year’s Day outfit and ‘West Side Story’ remake Each summer beginning in 1933, residents gathered for the Fiesta Days Parade, created as an homage to the city’s Mission heritage. A mantilla dinner, where women of the Chamber of Commerce wore traditional Spanish outfits, was held and men were encouraged to dress in their charro outfits. Pictures of white-haired ladies appeared in the society pages of the local paper. It was the centerpiece of civic life in the small city. But by 1985, its star had faded. Permit costs kept rising and many of the World War II generation that had kept the parade alive was aging or busy with their grandchildren. A new generation, mostly Latino, that had grown up watching the parade felt alienated from the sort of romanticized Spanish culture. The parade ended, and so too did a piece of civic life. “There had been a change,” said Doude Wysbeck, one of the last chairs of the Fiesta Days Parade. “I had my era; now the next generation will have theirs.” SAN FERNANDO — For years, Hector Martinez felt San Fernando’s streets rang a little hollow during the holiday season. So three years ago, he and a small group of community activists made a wish list to bring a parade back to San Fernando. This year the San Fernando Christmas Parade, with more than 20,000 revelers in attendance on Dec. 11, celebrated its third year. “This is not just about a parade, it’s about a community,” Martinez said. “This gives you a sense of civic pride, identity, something that you can relate to.” It may sound corny, even a bit naive, but for Martinez the parade is a “memory maker,” a place where children can play with their parents and laugh with each other. And for years, that memory maker had vanished.last_img read more

Cristiano Ronaldo sent off after scoring in Real Madrid’s 3-1 win at FC Barcelona

first_imgCristiano Ronaldo made a big impact in his truncated appearance at Camp Nou on Sunday, scoring a goal before being sent off in Real Madrid’s 3-1 win over Barcelona in the first leg of the Spanish Super Cup.Ronaldo went on in the 58th minute and scored with a beautiful strike to make it 2-1 in the 80th, earning a yellow card for taking off his shirt to flex his muscles at Barcelona’s faithful.But that defiant pose turned into a petulant pout two minutes later when Ronaldo was booked again for diving in the area following contact with Barcelona defender Samuel Umtiti.Ronaldo gave the referee a push in the back after seeing the red card that meant he will miss Wednesday’s return leg at the Santiago Bernabeu.Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane said that the club would consider appealing Ronaldo’s second booking to the Spanish football federation.”We played a great match. What bothers me is the sending off of Cristiano,” Zidane said. “Maybe it wasn’t a penalty, but the card is a bit too much.”After Madrid went ahead in the 50th from an own-goal by Barcelona defender Gerard Pique, Lionel Messi equalized for Barcelona in the 77th from the penalty spot. Messi was given the chance to take his “clasico” goal record to 24 against Madrid when Luis Suarez was fouled by goalkeeper Keylor Navas.While Ronaldo’s goal was a blow, substitute Marco Asensio’s 90th-minute strike – with Madrid down to 10 men – left Barcelona in a deep hole for the second leg.advertisement”I am not going to play this down, we are happy with the result. But of course it is not over,” Zidane said. “We are going to enjoy this today, because it is something to enjoy, and tomorrow we will think about the game on Wednesday.”?? Pictures from the 3-1 defeat at home to Real Madrid… Hopefully Wednesday will bring better fortune ????´ pic.twitter.com/YhNANZs1qx- FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) August 14, 2017While Zidane’s Madrid took a big step to a second title to start the season after beating Manchester United in the European Super Cup, it was a dismal debut for Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde.Barcelona had hoped to show that, with Messi, Luis Suarez and Andres Iniesta, it could still compete with Madrid despite having Brazil star Neymar plucked away by Paris Saint-Germain on a world-record transfer last week.????HALA MADRID! #RMSupercopa pic.twitter.com/WSxjmx68Zi- Real Madrid C.F. (@realmadridfra) August 13, 2017Valverde opted to start Gerard Deulofeu in Neymar’s spot on the left side, and the contrast with Neymar was clear. The forward lacked the natural talent and expert timing that Neymar had developed over four seasons with Messi and Suarez up front, and Barcelona attacked better after midfielder Denis Suarez replaced Deulofeu early in the second half.While Barcelona slumped to a loss to its fiercest rival, Neymar scored a goal in an impressive debut for PSG to help it win 3-0 at Guingamp in the French league.”We don’t like to lose, especially against Madrid, and especially when there is a title at stake,” Valverde said. “We are hurting after a loss like this, but we have to regroup and get ready for the next match.”Barcelona’s night to forget started when Pique slid to defend a cross by Marcelo, only to redirect the ball into the corner of his net.Barcelona still dominated possession, but ended up playing into Madrid’s hands. It was caught off-balance in defense on goals by second-half substitutes Ronaldo and Asensio scored on the break.Both forwards were left all alone against Pique. And, after maneuvering to pick their spots, Ronaldo and Asensio executed superb strikes from outside the area to beat the outstretched arms of goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen.Ronaldo’s first goal of the season came after he played just the final 10 minutes of Madrid’s win over United as Zidane monitors his return to full speed following an extended summer vacation.The defeat leaves Barcelona under pressure to spend at least part of the record 222 million euros ($262 million) it received from PSG for Neymar before the market closes at the end of the month. So far, the club’s attempts to pry away Liverpool midfielder Philippe Coutinho and Borussia Dortmund winger Ousmane Dembele have failed.”The team needs to be renewed,” Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets said. “There is no doubt that we have to sign players.”last_img read more