‘Mr Loophole’ celebrity lawyer helps David Beckham avoid speeding prosecution

first_imgIt was one of 3,487 NIPs sent by Scotland Yard on February 2, which go first class, and should have arrived at Bentley, as the registered keepers of the vehicle, no later than February 6.But she was satisfied it did not arrive until February 7, having heard evidence from Colette Hollies, who has collected post for the legal department at Bentley twice a day for the past nine years.Mr Freeman suggested the matter may simply have been a case of poor postal service, citing a subsequent letter sent first class by Bentley to Scotland Yard which took eight days to arrive.He said: “Unfortunately and sadly some post attracts problems.“There might be nobody at fault here.”Summing up, the judge said the law allowed for the “vagaries” of the postal system to be taken into account. Beckham’s lawyer, Nick Freeman, has represented the likes of ex-England cricketer Andrew Flintoff in the past Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won Latest Football News David Beckham has avoided prosecution over a speeding charge after celebrity lawyer nicknamed “Mr Loophole” successfully contested the allegation on a technicality.The ex-England captain was accused of driving a loaned Bentley at 59mph in a 40mph zone in Paddington just after 5:30pm on January 23. impact 2 RANKED BEST OF Beckham is said to be “very relieved with the verdict and very happy with his legal team” Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won MONEY Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade 2 Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions silverware REVEALED Despite accepting driving the car at that speed he will not face action because a notice of intended prosecution (NIP) was not received until one day after the statutory 14-day time limit.His lawyer Nick Freeman told reporters Beckham, who was not in court, was “very relieved with the verdict and very happy with his legal team” after the trial at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.Mr Freeman previously helped Beckham overturn an eight-month driving ban in 1999 after successfully arguing the footballer was trying to escape a paparazzi photographer.After hearing witnesses from both the Metropolitan Police and Bentley Motors Ltd, District Judge Barabara Barnes said she was satisfied that the NIP had been sent in time, but had simply arrived later than it should have. REVEALED Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Every Championship club’s best signing of the decade, including Taarabt and Dack ADVICE She said: “In this case I’m satisfied that the NIP was indeed sent within the 14 days to allow for it to be delivered within the 14 days.“I find that on the balance of probabilities it’s more likely than not this NIP was actually not served on the registered keeper of the vehicle within the 14 days as required.“What I find is the fact it did not arrive in the post room of Bentley Motors Ltd until February 7 and therefore was one day outside the legal limit.“The defendant in this case cannot be convicted.”Mr Freeman, who trademarked the nickname “Mr Loophole” in 2008, gained fame after helping a host of A-list clients hold onto their driving licences.He counts Sir Alex Ferguson, Andrew Flintoff, and Colin Montgomerie among his celebrity clientele.last_img read more

PH athletes to help run 2019 SEA Games

first_imgPagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR PSC Chairman Butch Ramirez, DFA Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano and POC president Peping Cojuangco during the formal announcement of 2019 SEA Games hosting.Filipino athletes will have a voice on how the Philippines should efficiently run the hosting of the 2019 Southeast Asian Games.Philippine SEA Games Organizing Committee chair Alan Peter Cayetano assured Thursday that the athletes would be involved in the selection of venues where their respective sports would be held.ADVERTISEMENT READ: PSC on top of SEA Games preparations While patiently putting the organizing committee together, Cayetano said they’re considering to hold the Games in Bulacan, Pampanga and Zambales.He also thanked Senator Migz Zubiri, who was initially designated as chair of the organizing committee, for the groundwork of setting up the organization.There was no mention yet on the figures that the government will spend for bringing the 11-nation sportsfest on local turf but Ramirez assured that the hosting budget can be embedded in the PSC allocation from the General Appropriations Act.READ: POC still not giving up on SEA Games hosting ADVERTISEMENT Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side AVC: Philippines drops to 8th place after close loss to Kazakhs Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH03:04Filipino athletes share their expectations for 2019 SEA Games00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:36Manny Pacquiao part of 2019 SEA Games opening ceremony Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ MOST READ READ: PSC gives 2019 SEA Games hosting green light “The athletes are the ones who will compete and it will be difficult if someone else will decide for them,’’ said Cayetano during the formal announcement of the country’s SEAG hosting at the Marriott Hotel in Paranaque City.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingPhilippine Sports Commission chair Butch Ramirez and Philippine Olympic Committee president Jose Cojuangco Jr. will co-chair the organizing committee with Cayetano, who also sits as Department of Foreign Affairs secretary.“I’m taking the lead from Sir Butch (Ramirez) that the athletes should be consulted,’’ said Cayetano. “With social media and the direct means of communication, we can really consult more people.’’ Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claimcenter_img NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters “In the course of our discussion with the sports committee (at the House of Representatives), there’s great hope that they will allocate money for the hosting and even the PSI (Philippine Sports Institute) budget,’’ said Ramirez.Cojuangco and Ramirez also functioned in their current positions during the 2005 Manila SEA Games where the Philippines captured its first overall title.“We’ve seen the effects of the 2005 hosting and this is how important it is for our country,’’ said Cojuangco. “I hope this will add more impetus for everyone to contribute to this effort, because this isnot for Peping or Secretary Cayetano or Butch Ramirez. This is for the country.’’Cayetano will arrange a meeting with Cojuangco over the next few days and attend the turnover ceremonies during the closing rites of the Kuala Lumpur SEA Games on Aug. 30.“It’s more of putting a system so everybody will have duties appealable to us. The three of us (with Cojuangco and Ramirez) have agreed to do it the Asean way, which is by consensus,’’ said Cayetano.The Philippine hosting was initially shelved after the government explained that it would just focus on the rehabilitation of war-torn Marawi City.Ramirez said talks were revived to save the hosting early this week through the efforts of Presidential Assistant Christopher Lawrence Go, Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea and Cayetano.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES View commentslast_img read more

Watch: Ram Kapoor and Ronit Roy get ‘married’ on Salman Khan’s Dus Ka Dum

first_imgSalman Khan’s Dus Ka Dum is all set to get interesting as Indian television’s two stalwarts Ram Kapoor and Ronit Roy will be appearing on the game show this weekend.The two actors will be accompanied by Salman’s brother-in-law Aayush Sharma and newbie Warina Hussain as they all will be there to promote their upcoming movie Love Ratri, which is being produced by Salman.Recently, they shot for the show where host Salman Khan gave two hypothetical situations to Ronit Roy and Ram Kapoor. In the first situation Ronit and Ram are husband and wife and had to enact their first night’s scene while in the other Ronit had to play a naagin who is there to take her revenge.Their act left everyone in splits including host Salman and the audience. It was funny seeing Ronit lift the veil from Ram’s face. The duo were quite a sport to take up the challenge.Have a look.The Love Ratri cast even danced on the sets and were joined by the Sultan. Looks like they had a blast shooting for the episode.Apart from Love Ratri’s cast, singer Mika Singh and Maniesh Paul will be appearing on the show this weekend.last_img read more